9.01.2010

Fabric: Look 4 Less

Ever since seeing Barrie Benson's perfect home featured in domino, the hubs and I have coveted F. Schumacher's Chiang Mai Dragon fabric {in aquamarine}, which Barrie used to cover her dining room chairs. 

domino: October 2007 issue {be. still. my. beating. heart.}

After contacting a distributor to the public in NY last year and requesting a quote for a couple of yards, I came to the realization {barring a miracle} that I would not be able to afford the real thing anytime soon.  Even scraps on ebay were expensive.  I searched for a decent replacement for a few months with no luck.  Until, browsing the shelves of Joann Fabric one glorious day, hubby found this.  I think the pattern looks more whimsy online than it does in person, honestly.  Here is a photo I took to give you a better idea:


The name of the fabric is "Koto" and is made in Japan by Calico.  At under $7/yard, it is a steal.  I snagged three yards and used it to cover the dining chairs of our mid-century Swedish dining set, and used some scraps to cover the light switch on the wall behind the dining area--super quick DIY style.  


By the way, the dining set might be up for sale soon.  It used to be my favorite MCM piece I own, but I have always preferred the aesthetic of the dining set on the TV show Friends, with the worn table and mismatched chairs.  I have told you about my obsession with chairs I'm sure, so I look forward to hunting and gathering to accompany the distressed farmhouse style table hubby plans to build out of reclaimed lumber to replace this dining set. 

So, Koto vs. Chiang Mai Dragon... Sure, the Calico craftsmanship does not even touch Schumacher, but for us frugals this fabric achieves a comparable look.  What do you guys think? 

1 comment:

Florida Life said...

I love your living room Cassi!! LOVE the turquoise. My fave color :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails