5.22.2010

Though craving pizza, I was stopped by my wallet. No delivery tonight.

Another rainy day, another forkful of pasta.  This time, not only am I fighting the wet weather blahs, I'm also fighting temptation.  Because I can't seem to get full no matter how much I eat the past couple of weeks, I confronted my gnawing hunger pains at about 9 pm tonight.  My first thought: pizza delivery.  Pizza is warm, filling, great eaten cold the next day, but quite pricey.  Only because the hubs has turned me into a pizza snob and we've gotten pretty used to paying $30+ for a large.  Ridiculous, I know.  Plus, he's at work and just went grocery shopping the other day, so while he might be excited to see a pizza box in the fridge when he gets home later, he will also ask why I didn't make something using the plethora of goods he just bought.  Starving, I decided to forgo the pizza meal. 

Not feeling creative in the slightest, I half-consciously began boiling water for linguine; grabbed some button mushrooms that were already open and stored at eye level in the fridge, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, cream, butter, Parmesan, spinach, garlic, nutmeg, dried basil, ks&p... The majority of the ingredients happened to be on the same shelf, which was convenient for my auto-pilot mental state.  Now that I've eaten, I can share with you the 'recipe.' 

1. Cook linguine until al dente.  Meanwhile...
2. Heat some oil from the sun-dried tomato jar in a skillet.  When heated, add minced garlic, brown.
3. Add sliced mushrooms, careful not to crowd in the pan (thank you, Mrs. Child).
4. Once shrooms are cooked, add a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach and some sun-dried tomatoes.
5. After all ingredients are warmed, remove from skillet.  Scrape everything into your serving bowl and set aside.
6. Using the same skillet, melt a chunk of butter (+/- 2 T), then add 1/2 c of heavy cream.
7. Simmer about 5 mins, stirring frequently, then add chopped parsley, pinch of dried basil, pinch of nutmeg, some minced garlic, and a big handful of grated Parmesan.  Whisk vigorously for about a minute.
8. Put cooked pasta on top of the ingredients in your serving bowl, then top with cream sauce.
9. Season with ks&p, gorge immediately.
10. Blog.

I don't have any pictures, mainly because I didn't think the dish was that pretty, but man is it delicious, and finally filling.  Even better, I didn't have to wait 45 minutes or drain my wallet contents for a pizza to be delivered. 

I don't anticipate receiving any comments--this post was lame. What can I say, the hubs is at work, the dogs are sleeping, craigslist only has ugly furniture today, and I already cleaned my house...just fillin' time.  Good night.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails